Tudhope Anderson Co. Warehouse


239 10 Avenue SE



     Considered to be the oldest extant warehouse in Calgary, the Tudhope Anderson  Co. Building was constructed in 1906 by the well-known agricultural equipment and automobile sales agency. One of twenty-three wholesale implement and machinery warehouses promoted by civic boosters in 1909, the warehouse was occupied by the Tudhope Anderson Co. from 1906 to 1921.  Also considered to be among the first recycled warehouse buildings, the structure is recognized for its adaptive re-use in the early 1980s.

     As the distribution of goods throughout the West was dependent upon the railway, the pattern of wholesale development in Calgary was determined by the location of the C.P.R. freight yards. In addition, Calgary was given a distinct freight advantage in 1902, increasing the attractiveness of the city as a jobbing centre.  Tudhope Anderson represented eight Canadian and American manufacturers, among them International Harvest, the Tudhope Carriage Company, and the Indiana Road Machine Company. Following 1921, the warehouse was occupied by a number of other companies including the Hendley Shaw Milling Company of Calgary & Bekins Moving & Storage. An attractive site for Bekins because of the large adjacent lot, the structure was slightly modified by garage and maintenance shop additions that were used to service the motorized fleet of the moving company. All of these enterprises provided employment for residents in the neighbouring community of Victoria Park. It was estimated that the labour force associated with the warehouse district grew from 1,000 in 1909 to over 4,000 in 1913, no doubt a contributing factor to the intense residential development in Victoria Park prior to the First World War. 

     A good representation of early commercial architecture, this building follows the practical solutions given to industrial architecture at the turn of the century.  Buildings were constructed to be larger, sturdier and more resistant to fire. The Tudhope Anderson Building is strong in design. Its facade is enlivened by two central bays with arched windows on top. Along the Macleod Trail facade, the structure is treated with a double bay system with pilaster strips positioned between each pair of windows. A corbelled brick cornice caps the composition.  The ground floor facade windows were originally marked by large display windows, a common treatment in warehouse buildings. These have been greatly altered over the years. The lower floor of the building is well maintained and is now a dining lounge, while the upper storeys serve as offices. This building is significant as it was the first of its kind in the district. Its design and styling were advanced for the day, and represented international building trends.(1982)  The building was painted pink and turquoise in 1993.(1993)  A series of uses have occupied the lower floor, including a dining lounge, comedy bar, and currently, a night club.  (1998)


(Calgary Heritage Authority, Building Summary 02-123)

     Calgary’s oldest remaining warehouse was also among the first to undergo “adaptive reuse” when it was converted into modern offices and a restaurant in the early 1980s.  The Tudhope, Anderson Co., an agency that represented eight different agricultural implement manufacturers, occupied the building from 1906-21.  Later occupants included the Hedley Shaw Milling Co., Oliver Agricultural Implements, James Storage & Cartage, and, finally, Bekins Moving & Storage, before the building’s restoration in 1980.  A 1993 pink and turquoise colour scheme was sandblasted off a decade later.  The two round-headed rear loading bays have been closed in with concrete block and glass, forming Palladian-style windows that match the arched front entrance and east-facing rounded window.  The front façade has been severely modified. 


(Historic Walks of Calgary, Harry Sanders, 2005, Red Deer: Red Deer Press, pp.293-294)











  . to offer comments, corrections, or improvements to this article, email: heritage@beltline.ca