. scott fruit company

1912

215 10 Avenue SW

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

     This office and retail centre takes its present name from its 1937-75 occupancy by the MacCosham Storage & Distributing Company, an Edmonton-based cartage firm established by R.V. “Vic” MacCosham in 1913. MacCosham’s entered the Calgary market in 1937 through acquisition of Johnston’s Storage and Cartage Company, which had been located in this warehouse since 1915. In 1945, MacCosham’s built a second warehouse near the confluence of the Bow and Elbow rivers, and operated out of both buildings for the next thirty years. Archaeological work in the early 1970s revealed that the second warehouse had been built over the remains of Fort Calgary. In 1975, the fort’s centennial, MacCosham’s sold both warehouses and moved to a suburban industrial park. The 1945 warehouse was demolished to create Fort Calgary Historic Park, while the older 10th Avenue structure was restored as MacCosham Place in 1980.

    Though remembered as MacCosham’s, this warehouse always housed multiple businesses, and between 1912 and the 1950s its tenant list would have seemed a “dream team” to candy lovers: chocolatiers Lowney’s, Neilson’s, Fry-Cadbury, and Rowntree, as well as Canada Dry Ginger Ale and the Empress Manufacturing Company, whose food products included jams. For purists, there was the B.C. Sugar Refining Company, and, for those who favored savory, the Vancouver Pickle Company. Perhaps another longtime tenant, Hygiene Products Ltd., did a good business here selling toothbrushes and toothpaste. Another early and longtime tenant was the Scott Fruit Company (1912-29).

 

(Historic Walks of Calgary, Harry Sanders, 2005, Red Deer:Red Deer Press, pp.284-285)