. sherwin-williams co. warehouse . royop
738 11 Avenue SW
Constructed in 1913 for the Sherwin Williams Co., this building served as a paint and varnish warehouse for over fifty years. In 1973, McArthur's Furniture acquired the building and used it as a furniture store until 1982. This warehouse was constructed by Carter, Halls, Aldinger Co. of Calgary who constructed other warehouses in the area. The street elevations are highlighted with a string course and limestone trim and the south and west elevations have dark red brick with recessed joints. (1982)
The original building on this site was a 1905 residence, notable as the home of Ernest L. Richardson, longtime manager of the Calgary Exhibition and later of the Calgary Exhibition and Stampede. It was demolished to make way for this three-story red brick warehouse, built for the Sherwin Williams Paint Company that remained its chief occupant until 1965. It later housed the McArthur Furniture Store (1972-82), and Heaven’s Fitness (1992-2004). The Royop Corporation acquired the building in 2004 and announced plans to add two high-tech storeys.
The pubic facades are unusually elaborate for the warehouse district and include limestone trim, a well-detailed arched entrance, and a hint of crenellation, reminiscent of a castle, in the parapet high above. In contrast, the rear façade is typical in its use of lesser quality bricks and the presence of a loading dock, built at the height of railway boxcars that came along the spur line between 10th and 11th Avenues. In the 1990s, in a clever example of adaptive reuse, the coffee shop at the ground floor used the dock as an outdoor patio. The loading dock was removed in 2005, and the upper story addition was complete in 2006.
. to offer comments, corrections, or improvements to this article, email us at: email@example.com