. davidson house (rose & crown pub)
1503 4 Street SW
Long before it became the Rose & Crown Pub around 1986, generations of Calgarians knew this large converted dwelling as a funeral parlor. Perhaps its original occupants, David Davidson (1839-1921) and his wife Dora (1842-1930) set the tone. Both died in the house and both had their funerals there. This was an era when funeral services often took place in the deceased’s residence.
David had operated a lumber business in Penetanguishene, in his native Ontario, and won two terms in that province’s legislature as the Liberal member for Simcoe Centre (1898-1905). In 1905, David and his family moved to Calgary, where he became a rancher and stockbreeder, and built this fine family home. After Dora’s passing in 1930, one of her in-laws, lumber merchant Harvey S. Perkins, lived here about five years. Two funeral homes, Park Memorial and McInnis & Holloway, occupied the house between 1935 and 1986.
(Historic Walks of Calgary, Harry Sanders, 2005, Red Deer:Red Deer Press, pp.247-248)
. to offer comments, corrections, or improvements to this article, email us at: email@example.com