. macdonald apartments


 

1911

215 15 Avenue SE

The MacDonald Apartments have undergone quite a dramatic facelift in recent years. The once decaying brick exterior has been replaced with what is arguably one of the best facades in Calgary.

 

The MacDonald Apartments in their "pre-Graffiti" days.

 

James W. MacDonald, builder and president of Macdonald Oil Co. Ltd., erected this brick apartment building in 1911. Situated  in  the neighbourhood of Victoria, one of Calgary's older residential districts. The building is unusual for having a very deep entrance and light court between two wings which reach to the property line. The exterior has had few alterations and is only in fair condition. (1982)

 

(Calgary Heritage Authority, Building Summary 05-130)