. knoepfi residence
This structure was one of the first on the block. It was built by Jacob A. Knoepfli. Knoepfi, a successful contractor, purchased the property and the adjacent lot in 1910, after they had been 'flipped' a number of times. That year, Knoepfli applied for a permit to built two identical houses at a cost of $2,000 each.
Knoepfli emigrated from Switzerland in 1905 and started work as a carpenter, eventually becoming a successful contractor. He is credited with building over 300 houses and small apartments during Calgary's first building boom. In the early 1920’s he formed the Bungalow Construction Company and purchased several apartment houses and hotels.
His company managed the St. Regis Hotel and was responsible for construction of the York Hotel. An active member of the Board of Trade and the Lions Club, he retired in the 1940's and died in 1974.
This house was home to James H. Hicks of the Six realty company between 1911 and 1913. In 1913 it became Townsend’s Tailor shop. In 1914 it became the home of Charles Comba, a general foreman.
. to offer comments, corrections, or improvements to the article, email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org