. findlay apartments


1909

1324 1 Street SW

 

This three-storey brick building, with a basement, an attic, and rusticated sandstone trim, is the earliest known larger apartment block to be erected as Calgary expanded south along 1 Street serving the Victoria Park neighbourhood. The building is part of an excellent historic grouping which also comprises the Underwood Block. Builder-owner James Findlay was a druggist who arrived in Calgary at the beginning of the century from Pembrook, Ontario.

(Calgary Heritage Authority, Building Summary 11-112)

 historic apartments findlay