. fairey terrace

 

1905

1111 3rd Street SE

Fairey Terrace was constructed circa 1903-1906 by Calgary contractor Frank Fairey, in partnership with real estate agent F.W. Mopson. Mr. Mopson resided in the building while  Frank Fairey lived in and developed properties in Victoria Park from 1902-1913. Backed by the Alberta Land Co., whose secretary was Oscar Devinish, Fairey and partners built the property for speculative interests.

Fairey Terrace represents one of Calgary's earliest examples of terraced housing. East Victoria Park had an early beginning in 1888 when subdivided by the C.P.R. By the turn of the century, the community began to take on a residential role. Originally known as tha Fairey Block, the apartment was a fashionable city address. Transplanted from England, this row-housing style addressed the City's housing shortage and offered a low-maintenance, high-class address that did not require servants to maintain it. Row housing was increasingly popular due to housing shortages, and the attractiveness of low maintenance structures. Occupied in its early years by a cross section of Calgary society, residents included skilled workers and professionals. Frank Fairey owned the building until his death in 1926. The building has since functioned as revenue property for numerous owners.

Fairey Terrace is a two storey, parapet walled, red brick terrace with twelve apartments each owning a seperate entry. Three previously roofed porches give access to a group of four entries. Originally, the porches were covered by broad pitched gabled roofs. Additional features are found in the sandstone foundation and trims, the corbelled brick work and and the elegant two storey bay windows. Designed in the then popular Jacobethan Revival motif, the terraced floor plan is a direct translation of British prototypes. Since the terrace was built prior to the building ordinances of 1913 that restricted various aspects of apartment dwellings, it is unique in that it contains full basement suites.  Fairey Terrace is mildly recessed from the sidewalk, a clear demonstration of the functional nature of terraced housing. From the exterior, the building is substantially intact, although changes to the windows and the porches have impared it's present appearance.

 

 

. to offer comments, corrections, or improvements to this article, email us at: heritage@beltline.ca