Ed's Restaurant

 

1909

202 17 Avenue SE

 

To a generation of Calgarians, the name Ed’s is synonymous with Buffalo-style chicken wings. How appropriate that the presumed builder of this converted residence, contractor (and alderman) M. Ross Wallace, was “a well-known poultry fancier.” Early occupants of this 1909 house included widow Agnes Flanagan, barber Percy McNaughton, carpenter Montague Spicer, and John A Letroy, a traveling salesman for the Western Lightning Rod Company. Between 1952 and 1967, this was the home and workplace of Swiss-born landscape gardener Ernest Brunner (circa 1896-1972). The house was converted into apartments in the late 1960s and became a commercial property in the 1970s. Mr. Ed’s Feedbag (later changed to Ed’s Restaurant) opened here in 1984.

 

(Historic Walks of Calgary, Harry Sanders, 2005, Red Deer:Red Deer Press, pp.325-326)

 

. to offer comments, corrections, or improvements to the article, email us at:  heritage@beltline.ca