. cushing lumber company
1301 10 Avenue SW
Alfred Bruce Cushing established the A.B. Cushing Lumber Company in Calgary, Alberta in 1911. Prior to developing his own business, he was an associate of Cushing Brothers Limited in Calgary. In 1885 Cushing Brothers Limited was founded by his older brother, the Honorable William Henry Cushing, in Calgary. In 1900 A.B. Cushing left Calgary and joined his yonger brother Arthur in Edmonton to expand Cushing Brothers ltd. However, he remained Vice president and manager , and at a later time Secretary-treasurer of Cushing Bros. Ltd. in Edmonton until 1910.
In 1911, after a six-year association with the local sash and door factory (Cushing Bros Ltd), A.B. Cushing opened his lumber company at 1301 10 Avenue SW. He was now president and general manager of his own company. In 1926m he expanded A.B. Cushing Lumber Co. by amalgamating R.L. Cushing Millwork (Moose Jaw) and the Vancouver companies Masterbilt Doors, Cushing Mills and North Vancouver Sawmills. The name of this new conglomerate was A.B. Cushing Mills Limited. It became one of the largest manufacturing companies in Western Canada. The Calgary branch of A.B. Cushing Lumber Company, possibly the Head Office of Western Canada operations, remained at the address of 1301 10 Avenue SW until 1929.
Alfred extended his influence to include a stint in public life. In 1911, he was elected as an Alderman for the City of Calgary. He was also Treasurer and a member of the Executive Board of the Alberta Sunday School Association. Alfred acted as chairman of the Calgary Symphony Orchastra and the Apollo Choir. In 1934, the year of his brither Williams death, he left Calgary for Vanvouver BC, where he died on December 14,1944. Unfortunately, none of his Calgary residences, nor his factory at 1002 14 Street SW remain, leaving 1301 10 ave SW. as the only structure in Calgary commercial structure that has any direct association with either of the western Canadian business empires - A.B. Cushing Mills Limited or Cushing Brithers Ltd. There are current operations in a relatively new warehouse under the name A.B. Cushing Mills Limited at 7103 30 st SE.
This 1910 building is a two-storey masonry structure with parapets at the north and south ends. The building exterior was originally exposed brick, but these have since been painted. Pilasters, string or belt course masonry, and six large windows (three per storey) accent the building's front facade. The window in the centre of the front facade has replaced what was originally a door. A.B. Cushing Mills moved out in 1929.
. to offer comments, corrections, or improvements to this article, email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org