. george cushing residence


1912

1313 Centre Street S

 

This residential turned commercial building is one of the two remaining structures that have a direct relationship with the first and second generations of the Cushing family in Calgary. As well, it is the only remaining original Cushing residence.

Ellen Cushing, wife of John Cushing (brother of W.H. Cushing and A.B. Cushing), originally purchased purched the lot between 1900 and 1904 after the death of her husband in 1899. George, their eldest son, lived for a time in his mother's home at 101 13 ave SW. George moved one lot over into the then new house at 1313 Centre Street SW. In October of 2005 his mother's home was demolished.

Beginnings in 1908, George worked for his uncle W.H. Cushing's company, Cushing Bros. Ltd. In 1909, George was employed was a cheif salesman with his uncle's firm. By 1911, he held the position of assistant manager, and local manager. In 1912, he was appointed treasurer of Cushing Bros. Ltd. George C. Cushing transferred to Regina, Sask. in 1916, where he acted as local manager of Cushing Bros. Ltd. until 1930. George was killed in an automibile accident on Oct 26, 1930.

George married Sarah Minetta (Nettie) McKerman in 1906, and they had their first son, Regianl Clarence in 1910. In 1920, they had their second son Clifford John. Lance Corporal Clifford John Cushing was killed at the Battle of Normandy, France, in 1944.

This building is a two-storey wood frame structure complete with gabled roof. The unique design is asymmetrical and incorporates a covered porch and main entrance between the two perpendicular wings. Above the porch, is a tower that is accented by a finial. The exterior walls retain their original wood siding and architectural shingle details. The soffits exhibit detailed woodwork, as do the gables. The house also retains original window details such as latticed and leaded windows. The Cushing Bros Ltd catalogue features many of the decorative elements found on the house such as columns etc. It is likely that lumber was provided by A.B. Cushing Mills.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

. to offer comments, corrections, or improvements to this article e-mail us at:  heritage@beltline.ca